Poor management decisions
- Posted on [June 26, 2009 ] @ 10:38 pm
- Write comment
Since I’m currently reading The Innovators Dilemma I enjoyed this post about why fast followers often beat the first mover innovators. Don Dodge writes:
In nearly every case the early innovators were eclipsed by fast followers. Why did the fast followers take over market share leadership?
* Better business model (Google, Ad Sense, Dell)
* Better market position (Word, Excel, Comcast, Verizon)
* Better timing (iTunes, Flickr)
* Better platform choices (Blackberry, Word, Excel)
* Better management (all the fast followers)
It is overly simplistic to pin the success or failure of these innovators on one factor. There were a combination of factors at work. But in most cases the problem was not inferior technology, it was inferior management decisions.